Why is it important to support adult education in our congregation? There are many ways to answer that question, but most simply put: a congregation is only as healthy as its adult education program. This is especially true in a UCC congregation. We do not have a written creed or catechism, nor do we expect conformity of thought or refuse to listen to someone whose beliefs are different from ours. We are free to understand and worship the God of our experience. That’s a freedom we all cherish. But it comes with the danger that we might stagnate on our faith journey; it often seems to be easier to describe what we don’t believe than affirm what we do understand about the life and ministry of Jesus and his call to service in the larger world. Adult education invites us to engage with one another and with the great theologians and servants of our age and grow together into a clearer understanding of God’s word for our lives. We learn to speak our truths and engage in respectful dialogue about the great issues of our time. This is an exciting journey!
There is no charge for our adult education programming and all are welcome to come to any session without registration or a commitment to attend all sessions. Sometimes we form a class list for the purpose of sending enrichment materials to participants. A number of opportunities are available.
- Wednesday Night Adult Study: We have a vital adult group that meets 2nd and 4th Wednesday nights at 7 PM throughout the year.
- Thursday Morning Men’s Group: The Men’s Fellowship meets every second and third Thursday at 7:00 AM in the church Parlor. A light breakfast is available along with a time to share journeys, scripture readings, and prayer.
- Adult Book Group: We offer a book group that meets at church the 3rd Wednesday of each month for discussion of selected books of general interest and for fellowship. The book list is available in the church office.
- Other Opportunities:
- Occasionally we offer adult enrichment programs on Sunday mornings after worship, including short video presentations once a month. Please see the calendar for more information of these periodic programs.
- The Adult Education Ministry Team also works in conjunction with the Justice and Peace Ministry Team for educational programs on issues relevant to our faith community. Please see the calendar for more information about these periodic programs.